Monday, February 4, 2008

JELLY BEAN - STONECROP: Crassulaceae Sedum Rubrotinctum

Okay, so I had a rotten day today. I hate living in the apartment I've lived in for way too many years, they raised my rent a 100 bucks effective March 1st, and on top of it all, the hot water was out this weekend. I appeased myself with many entries on this Blogger and the planting of many plants. I couldn't bring myself to express my problems while in the midst of it all.

Anyway, on the ride home from work I picked myself up a little something to make me feel better; a Stonecrop, of the Crassulaeceae family. This is a real fun plant to look at!

Here are some of the scientific details:

Family: Crassulaceae (krass-yoo-LAY-see-ay)
Genus: Sedum (SEE-dum) meaning to sit or sedentary
Species: rubrotinctum (roo-broh-TINK-tum) meaning red dyed from the sun and pachyphyllum (pak-ee-FIL-um) meaning it has thick/fat leaves
Common Name: Stonecrop - Pork and Beans - Jelly Bean Plant
Min Temp: to 25 degrees F
Bloom: A variety of colors- Late Summer to Early Winter
USDA Zone: Zone 9-10
Exposure: Part Shade to Full Sun
Height: 6-8 inches tall
Origin: Mexico

Here are some details from The Cactus Collection:

"Easy to grow group of succulents with diverse form and color. Closely related to Echeverias. Some are like brightly colored jelly beans; others are tiny mat-forming ground covers. Most are cold tolerant, some very cold hardy. Water thoroughly when soil is dry to the touch. Require bright light."

This plant has two species attached to it, so I listed them both. I also read that they have a variety of flower colors, which I can't swear to, as I'm finding there are a lot of descrepancies out there. I'll adjust this as I find out more information.

Written: 2/4/08

3 comments:

Donna said...

I love the Pork and Beans plant. They are so unique looking, but then again all succulents are. I think that is what makes collecting them so fun. I totally feel you on the apartment situation. We need to move!

Julie said...

I think I have one of these! It's outside in my succulent tires...as I was looking at it today, I asked myself if it was a "Jelly Bean" plant!!! I never remember the names of my plants, but have started using the tags on my posts as a way to return to something, for ID! LOL. This is such a cute plant...and I hope your plants and blogging will achieve a blissful state for you with all you are having to deal with right now. These things, too, shall pass...all will be well again. Passing all happy thoughts your way!!!
Julie

Xole Karman said...

I love this plant! He grows like mad in Canberra (hot summers, cold winters, lots of frost) and gets smothered in tiny yellow flowers. I notice he only gets the red colour if grown in full sun.