Friday, February 15, 2008

Pilosocereus Azureus

Oh my goodness! I missed posting here so much! I'm going to start off with a beautiful blue-green cactus I bought for my beautiful daughter Chloe! She spotted one of these during our last adventures at the California Cactus Center, and was totally surprised by it's beautiful blue coloring! I found these at our local OSH. They finally had a new shipment, and this was one of 5 that they had. I picked the bluest one I could find. I don't know if it means anything, but I had to get Chloe the bluest one...(OCD...OCD! Work's been stressful this week, hee-hee)!

Let's get straight to the technical stuff...
Family: Cactaceae (kak-TAY-see-ay)
Genus: Pilosocereus (pil-oh-so-KER-ee-us) meaning that it has a hairy, waxy taper.
Species: Pachycladus (pak-ee-KLAD-us) meaning thick-branched.
Common Name: Baby Toes
Min Temp: to 40 degrees F
Coloring: Beautiful blue-green
Bloom: White
USDA Zone: Zone 10
Exposure: Bright light/Sun - Mid-Summer
Height: 6 feet and up!
Origin: Brazil

Info from The Cactus Collection:

Pilosocereus azureus, native to Brazil in semi-tropical areas, forms arborescent specimens to 20' in height. Beautiful blue stems with golden spines along ribs. White nocturnal flowers that are pollinated by bats and sphinx moths. Beautiful specimen for landscape or patio in temperate areas. Requires porous cactus soil with adequate drainage. Bright light to full sun with ample airflow. Water thoroughly when soil is dry to the touch. Protect from frost.

2 comments:

Donna said...

Pretty!!! You know Kelly, I was there at Osh tonight and I must have missed them because I didn't see any blue cactuses. I saw where you left the scallop plants, but I couldn't afford to get them after I went and got myself that plant shelf. I'm so depressed.

Tell beautiful Chloe that I love her blue cactus.

Kelly said...

I'll let Chloe know. I'm suprised you missed the blue cactuses. I wonder if somone took them all? I know there are some other collectors out there. You really don't see that many of them. This is the first time I've seen the blue ones.