Saturday, February 16, 2008

PURPLE & CREAM SCALLOPS: Kalanchoe (Bryophyllum) Fedtschenkoi (One Variegata)

Hello everyone!

I'm trying to get over the fact that my Baby Toes are experiencing rot. I've no idea if I can save them and I'm a tad bit devastated, as you know how much I love my Baby Toes. Anyway, I'll write about that later, but let me focus on a couple of my many succulents!

(Oh, and just to let you know, my first photo on all my Blog posts can be enlarged by clicking it, offering you great closeups of the plants!)

I planted these together. They're both Kalanchoes only one is varigated and one is not. I was inspired by their coloring and what I'm currently reading in British Literature called, "Morte D'Arthur" by Sir Thomas Malory. Therefore, they are rightly named "Lancelot and Guinevere." The color suits them. Lancelot is the beautiful forest green and deep purple kalanchoe, while Guinevere is the lovely varigated version, with the pretty cream, pink and light green leaves. I planted them together. What a sad tale; I'm sure they would have like to have remained together.

I'm not definite about their common names. From what I've gathered they're referred to simply as "Purple Scallops" and "Cream Scallops." I've also heard them called, "Lavendar Scallops." I guess it all depends on the intensity of their coloring.

One more important point, before I go on to the scientific stuff; they are poisonous to animals. I think it mostly affects grazing animals, but keep an eye on your dogs and cats.

Now on to the scientific facts!

Family: Crassulaceae (krass-yoo-LAY-see-ay)
Genus: Kalanchoe (kal-un-KOH-ee)
Species: fedtschenkoi (fed-tscheng-koh-eye) named for Alexei Fedtschenko a Russian botanist and plant collector from the 19th century, and bryophyllum (bry-oh-FIL-um) From Dave's Garden, "Greek bryo (sprout) and phyllon (leaf), referring to the ability to propagate via leaf cuttings."
Common Name: Purple Scallops, Lavender Scallops, Cream Scallops, Rosey Dawn
Min Temp: to 36 degrees F
Bloom: Pink - Can bloom all year - Fall to Spring
USDA Zone: Zone 9-10
Exposure: Part Light
Height: 12 - 18 inches tall
Origin: The Montaine (cloud) forest area of Madagascar.

I found an awesome article that includes some super cool pictures (see below) of new babies growing from the edges of the leaf! You've got to check it out here:

http://www.echeveria.freeserve.co.uk/leslies_succulents21a.htm

6 comments:

Julie said...

Oh, aren't these stunning??? So sweet with their pink edges! And kinda frilly too...very girlie!

Julie said...

Oh, btw...you may have to cut off some of your toes, and allow them to root and start new plants. I have a cactus that is rotting too, and am going to hack him in half today and let him lay a while and grow some new roots...hopefully it will work! Good luck!

Kelly said...

It seems really weird talking about cutting off toes! Hee-hee! Anyway, I pulled a lot of them off from around the edges. There are a lot of new ones growing, but if it's rotting from the bottom, will the rest of the plant die eventually?

Yes, I love the "girliness" of the plants!

Donna said...

I'm bummed out, my little Baby Toes is also rotting. I wonder what's going on? My Lamb Ears isn't doing too well either.

I hope the scallop plants are still at Osh when I actually have some money to get them. They are really pretty.

Kelly said...

Hey Donna,

Try pulling off the dead parts and put it where there is a lot of sun. I read that they can pick up again. (Fingers crossed)

Donna said...

Hey Kelly, I put mine to the very left of the balcony where it gets the most sun. I hope it perks up so that I can repot it. I'm so afraid of messing with it right now. I wouldn't want to shock the plant anymore than it is right now. I really wish that we could get some more sun on our balconies.